My first attempt at proposals to improve the situation.
1. Better monitoring of beaches to identify rubbish hotspots and problem areas
2. Use community service as resource for manual beach cleaning
3. Provide clear, high visibility collection points for rubbish at beaches and beach access points – with recycling bins
4. Show Flotsam / Jetsam hotline numbers at beach access points
5. Ban glass from beaches
6. Cigarette pollution awareness campaign – don’t discard cigarette butts
Having a programme for the reduction in plastics washed up on our shores, and a genuine environmental programme to reduce plastics in our coastal marine environment and ecosystems would be very beneficial to jersey’s image as a tourist destination. Having well managed rubbish points with recycling at beaches would promote awareness and encourage better stewardship.